Tuesday, May 5, 2009

This one's for you, Ethel!

As a woman, I've found that I treasure the quality of my friendships far more than I value the quantity of friends I can count.  I warmly smile when I think that over the years, one stands apart from the others for so many wonderful reasons.  She has witnessed me personally grow, and rather than drifting away from me (which sometimes happens amongst individuals as time passes and they continue to evolve into their adult identities), she has grown right there with me.  She can contribute to conversations, "You so would not have said that a few years ago," or add to discussions a "Remember when..." to prompt the recollection of fond memories that haven woven together the blanket of our friendship.  She has indulged in every emotion with me, from bawling our eyes out in a parking lot over "leaving" our baby girls (as we had to return to work) for the first time to complete, utter, pee-in-the-pants hysterics in professional settings during which we should have been behaving (flip flops, karate, and spit will do that to you though).  She has assisted me in regaining my composure on more than one occasion for a variety of crazy reasons, and makes sure I remember to think of myself during the busy, sometimes out of the ordinary day ("You WILL eat this taco," or "Go home.  You LOOK sick.  I'll take your kids."), for there are times when I try to pass on doing so as I am obsessively preoccupied with the hustle and bustle to get it all done.  She's fought battles of integrity with me, she's hung out, muddy and tired, in the trenches with me, as together, we pondered where the shovels to dig us out were going to come from (usually, they magically protrude out of my mouth), and in the end, she's stood next to me as we silently celebrated sweet victory (me: "2008-2009 TEACHER OF THE YEAR!"  YEAH!) until we could celebrate loudly in private!  She demonstrates all the attributes of a true, lifelong friend, and I know how lucky I am to have her gift of friendship each and every day.  AND... GET THIS!  SHE READS MY BLOG!  THOROUGHLY!  You know she MUST be my friend if she submits herself to my musings and has stuck around in spite of them, LOL!  Concluding sentence: Maverick hearts your "J"illo-ness, Theodore 3TS-EIT Iceman... English translation: THANK YOU, JESSICA!

2 comments:

The Trujillo Family said...

So, as I began my Friday morning ritual of spending time in my classroom alone (seeing as how you always have company on Fridays and this seems to be the only morning I do not spend sitting on the table in your room discussing the recent discoveries and activities of our wonderful 2 year olds) and checking to see if you have updated either of your blogs, I was completely caught off guard by the kind words and thoughts that you shared. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am so glad that in spite of our differences (coach purse vs. Kohl's purse, Crocs vs. Wal-mart brand) we have developed a friendship so strong that I honestly do not know what life would be like without my Lucy! So right back at ya Maverick! :)

Nicole said...

You are truly so lucky to have such a good friend. She sounds as amazing as you are!