Although I'm bugged to still be here, I'm delightfully sipping on a "Skinny Vanilla Latte" with 3 extra pumps of vanilla (hallelujah for the close proximity of Starbucks to my school - amen!) and resting my heels-clad feet on a two foot tall desk. Since I'm so efficient in my time management, I have very little to do this afternoon (I even already went to and got back from Target - I saved my list for today so I would have SOMETHING to do), I thought why not blog for a bit to pass the time? I'm expecting my highest student's mom around 4/4:30 for a conference - one that will be very easy to conduct because this child is brighter than the sun on 110* summer day, but have about half an hour to spare...
So still I sit, and stare at my screen... and reflect upon my day, my students, my teaching, and pretty much just people in general. I think becoming a mom has made me a better listener, and I have been trying to listen to my students more... today we were working on fractions, and their own thoughts were so powerful to them. I am glad I am a piece of the puzzle that comprises their own recognition of the ability that yes, they can think of things in their terms and be successful. And it makes me smile... and wonder what kind of adults they will turn out to be.
My mind moves on, and thinks of how I have been listening to grown-ups a lot too lately, and trying to refrain from so much speaking. Maybe it's eavesdropping, I dunno, as I've been listening to others at work discuss their trials and tribulations. Rather than the old thoughts, of "Oh geeze, are you serious that THAT stresses you out?" I am really trying to hear them out and give them a sense that I am engaged in what they are saying, and offering help should they need it. I've been listening to my extended family more, listening to their needs and recognizing that although we are all diverse, our wants in life are the same. Happiness, warmth, peace... and I've been listening to strangers. The strangers, although outside of my own realm of familiarity, have been provoking my thoughts, really making me ponder the big picture we each have already written for us. Although they are individuals I will never know, the opportunity to be able to glimpse briefly into their life while their paths cross my own create a "Domino effect" of thoughts that flood my mind. For example, we were at a little hole in the wall Mexican food restaurant last Friday down in San Diego, and a homeless woman came in and sat down on the opposite side of the room. She placed her bags of belongings on the floor, and shook off, as it was chilly out... as I attempted to entice O to eat her quesadilla and stop staring at people, I myself stared (just ask Daniel), and for a moment, watched a man awaiting his order approach her, and ask if he could buy her dinner. She let him, taking his money graciously with a smile, after which she proceeded to stand in line. The man continued on his way, collecting his order when it was ready, and while walking to the door, was stopped by a woman who asked if he had known the lady. His response? "No, but we all gotta eat, right?"
This made me stop and think... how am I helping "feed" those that need it? How am I extending a hand to someone who has lost hope, who doesn't dream of the future anymore because from where they stand it looks nothing but bleak? Should I be doing this somehow? And if so, how? When?
Sunday, we were at our local Target shopping center, walking behind a lady with a knit cap atop her head that looked to be concealing baldness underneath. She was talking to a friend, and saying how, "Anyone that says that they wouldn't change this is a liar." She then parted ways from us, entering a store...
This, too, made me stop and think. Both situations were full of people who started out like my own precious, sweet little daughter... full of life, promises, and hope... probably the apples of their parents' eyes... and their lives had taken unexpected turns down roads I am sure they never thought that they would walk. One woman was homeless, another was facing a battle with cancer that so many individuals unfortunately don't win... I could not even imagine. These situations just reinforce how life is so unpredictable, and we should all make sure we are enjoying it. That we are valuing it, valuing our loved ones, valuing our time, valuing our homes, valuing it all... and living to our full potential while we are on this earthly plane.
Which brings me to today... even while sitting at work still, in a miserable state that I will not get to see my daughter awake at all today (SUCH A BUMMER THAT I WILL GET NO OLIVIA FIX; IT MAKES ME SO SAD!), I still must find the value within my day...
Ironically, while typing those last three periods, Daniel just called my cell phone. For once, I had reception in my classroom (THIS NEVER HAPPENS). He wanted to know what's for dinner, and was minutes away from scooping up Olivia into his arms...
And as those rednecks (I think Jeff Foxworthy?) say, "Uh, there's your sign..."
(But I think my sign was from a much higher power than Jeff Foxworthy... LOL!)
xoxoxox
No comments:
Post a Comment