I look in hope or fear;
But, grateful, take the good I find
The best of now and here
- John Greenleaf Whittier
My "Mama" got me a"cool, little" book for Christmas, entitled The Tao of Now by Josh Baran, in which I found this poem scrawled across the bottom of the first page I opened up to. At some point during my days lately, I find myself taking a moment, sitting in my Grandma's rocking chair, opening up the book, and leafing through the passages written by "Mystics, Sages, Poets, and Saints" that are dotting the pages of this small, gray book. Flawlessly, like only a mother could know that they would, the words capture how I feel at this turn of the year.
As 2008 has closed its door and 2009 was what we awakened to today, I find that sure, there are things that I would like to work on. Resolutions? No, for they are more like ongoing goals that I want to meet in the long run of life as opposed to just a year long journey... things like maintaining a smaller weight healthily (code for lose the baby fat before you get more) and devoting more time to the "us" that brought us the "we." But when I truly ponder upon happy "New Year," I am just so grateful for all I do have that makes me happy through all the seasons of the year. I have an adorable, adoring husband, a sweet, whimsical, perfect daughter, exceptional parents and a beautiful extended family, enough money to get us through, good health, and lovely friends. I am smiled upon (I'd say blessed, but that word is just so overused to me these days), and I truly believe that the angels in heaven (using bobby pins and bunnies as signs) carefully, dotingly watch over the Elgan family. With so much bad news pouring from the headlines of America these days, I feel warm inside with all I am fortunate enough to delight in with each passing day...
For the three of us, January 1, 2009 was not full of extraordinary, flamboyant, colorful events. We watched the Rose Parade from the comforts of the couch. We got dirty, while pulling weeds in our p.j.s and playing outside in the California sunshine. We baked blueberry muffins, which Daniel said were, hold your breath folks, "GOOD!" (I did, after all, channel my inner Betty Crocker while I stirred and scooped!) We danced around the house (a daily occurrence) and listened to the "music" coming through the front window from the fountain outside. We napped.
To some, that may be boring, or too mainstream, or just silly... to me, it's authentically ours. And after all, isn't that what everyone is searching for in their lives? Authentic moments, authentic experiences, authentic treasures that can't be replaced and make life worth living? Perhaps it should be, as that ideal seems to be forgotten around New Years and on a grander scale, overlooked in our society that values the dollar, and getting ahead by any and all means... but at what cost? Your own self worth? Your own enjoyment of all that is in front of you? I feel that rather than scrutinizing all that one isn't or doesn't have at the dawn of a new beginning, why not choose to focus on all that you do have now, all that you have accomplished in this roller coaster called life? Plain and simple, what is it that makes YOU and YOUR LIFE fabulous right now, within this moment?
To some, that sentiment may scream the word "settling."
To me, it has "appreciating" written all over it, loud and clear.
Finally...
To wake up to
who we are
what we are here for.
To make all life
more poetical, more sane
more living, loving
To experience
the true of all things
this moment...
this moment...
this moment.
- William Segal
Happy New Year. Or more simply, Happy New Day, and three cheers to all the moments within it.
Thanks, Mom.
xoxoxox
1 comment:
Emi-such beautiful, beautiful, beautiful thoughts and expressions. I "knew" this book would touch you and some passages would resonate into your core. Perhaps WE are more alike than you thought?? Maybe YOU are an apple that has fallen closer to this tree (in some ways??)than you thought? I love that "cool little book," because it really does give you much to ponder, and to focus on. Remember, what we "put out" we get back. Our thoughts (positive or negative) manifest themselves in our lives. Start each day with a thankful heart, do the best you can to be a light in the world, and think positive, loving thoughts. It will touch those around you, and come back to you tenfold. I LOVE YOU.
Post a Comment