Friday, February 6, 2009

Thursdays or Sundays or Tuesdays: The tale of one lucky, loved girl

I am not a huge Valentine's Day-er.  I just don't get all the hoopla associated with just one day out of 365.  On this one day, you're supposed to be nice and thoughtful to your significant other.  On this one day, you can openly celebrate the beauty of love.  By going out amongst the throngs of people and eating dinner.  By candlelight.  On this one day.

Why just on one day?  What the heck is wrong with the world that we don't do this always?  Why should we not appreciate our spouse on a random Thursday in August?  Why are we not putting the extra effort into maintaining the most important relationship in our lives on a daily basis, rather than saving all the bells and whistles for February 14?  That's just the way I look at it... a sentiment I'm sure Daniel appreciates, LOL!

However, one can't help but think of love during the month of February, as everywhere one goes, one is confronted by hearts and Cupids and small little boxes of candy and advertisements for long stemmed red roses.  So I got to thinking last night, as I washed my hair while visions of red and pink rose petals swirled around in my brain, about undeniable, unconditional, unfathomably wonderful love.  I thought of all the deep facets of my relationship with Daniel: us now, parenting, working full time, supporting each other at every level; us in the future, growing old together, raising O (and possibly a sibling), fulfilling dreams, traveling; and us in the past, dating, being young(er), footloose, and fancy free, learning about one another.  I always reflect sweetly on the latter... of all the moments that compounded my understanding that he was "The One."  I don't believe I ever got to a point where all of a sudden he was my dream come true... he just always was, from day one.  Although the future was unclear, it was absolute that he was who I wanted to share every day in it with, and the little moments in our courtship solidified my gut instinct.  

There was this one time, while we both worked day camp at the Y, when I was racing a camp goer on a scooter in flip flops.  Smart, I know.  As I flew down the concrete path at Kit Carson park, I Evil Knieveled my way off the scooter (big surprise there!), and tore up my arm in the process.  Waiting with a first aid kit and some TLC was Daniel.  Oh, how I love the scar on my left arm... 

Or the time when I had to make a paddle for my AXO big sis, and with school, finals, working 35 hours a week, and everything else, had no time to go to the specialty store an hour and half away to buy all the goodies.  Daniel drove there, in traffic, and meticulously picked out everything I would need not only to make one beautiful ornament commemorating a time-honored sisterly tradition, but to calm me down during a week when I needed it most.

Or the time when I was looking everywhere for pink Uggs.  I wanted darn pink Uggs.  Furry, clunky, comfy Uggs.  And they were no where to be found.  Daniel miraculously came home with a pair carefully placed inside the most beautiful brown bag that I had ever seen that he had managed to track down in Santa Monica.  I didn't love the Uggs as much as I loved the thought that preceded them, and the smile upon his face...

I think I could go on forever, as I just keep recalling all of the amazing things he has done for me.  On random Thursdays or Sundays or Tuesdays.

Now, as we change and our relationship follows its course, he hasn't yielded in doing the small simple things that made me fall even more in love with him.

He washes and vacuums my car each weekend so I can drive a clean car.

He helps with EVERY household chore so that I can have some sanity during our busy weeks.

He tells me - wait, orders me! - to go clothes shopping so that I can have pretty things to wear.  He even encourages me to accessorize to complete my outfits!

He does so many things for my benefit... 

Which brings me back to Cupid's holiday and why I just don't need it.

When Cupid shot his arrow into us many, many moons ago, it must have been one of those specially coated ones that make giving and loving an every day effort, not just a once a year event of monumental proportions.

That little cherub sure knew what he was doing, as I wouldn't trade the outcome for a thing.

1 comment:

CG said...

very sweet. it left a lump in my throat. Yes, he is a wonderful person, and i am sure that for each loving, thoughtful thing he does for you, you answer in return with your own loving, thoughtful thing for him. Like Daddy and i often say, you two are a perfect match. It is a special blessing, so enjoy it! xxoo